Monday, March 7, 2011

Monday, Monday

Well, this weekend was mildly productive. I ordered two new pairs of glasses (much needed after my last pair literally fell apart in my hands) and they are awesome. My favorite of the two is a pair of think, square, tortoise shell frames. They make me look pretty nerdy, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
I also spent way more money than I should have at Michael's, buying crafting supplies galore. At least some of what I got was on sale. I got a pack of 50 blank cards and envelopes on sale for only $5.99! I'm tempted to go buy more just because they're so cheap! But then I start thinking about whole-sale pricing and wondering if I'd just be better off buying all my craft supplies in bulk online. Gosh, trying to run an Etsy store is a lot harder than I thought it would be! Me and my best friend's store (http://www.etsy.com/people/PrettyNeurotics) makes me proud though. We have make 4 sales since we opened back in July! This doesn't sound like a lot, but there are so many people who talk about having no sales for months and months on the etsy forums, so I'm thankful to those 4 customers!
I always feel like there is so much improvement to be made to our little shop. We could always have more inventory and this I think is the most important to any new shop on Etsy. We could more clearly define our ideal customer and our brand. We need to come up with some sort of spreadsheet that will allow me to track our spending and sales because I know we are no where near making any kind of profit... I read the Etsy "Quit your day job" blog religiously now because I just can't imagine a better job than making crafts and selling them online. I know it will be more work than I can even imagine, but think of the benefits! No boss, no 9-5, no dress code, no phone constantly ringing in my ear, living off of my creativity... ah! I could explode from pleasure just thinking about it!!! Making special little somethings for individual people instead of working for a gigantic state agency for "the people"...
My current job stresses me out to the max. It just makes me think about what I could see myself doing as a career... and it does not include sitting in a cubicle for hours on end. Who the hell *was* meant to have such a job?
Also, learning to play the ukulele has been put on the back burner. I pick it up whenever I have a spare minute, but at this rate I won't be able to play until I'm 90. I must make note to find a way to stuff more hours into the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment